New Jersey is a state where a garage door is truly a good investment. From having a place to stow your car out of the rain and snow, to keeping yourself out of inclement weather, there are numerous benefits to having a garage in the first place.
Closed garages are also a security measure.
- New Jersey is among the top 10 states in the US for car theft, along with other stats like California, Illinois, and Texas.
- Only 57% of stolen vehicles are ever recovered.
With sobering odds like these, it is easy to see why having a good-quality garage door that is sturdy and fully functional is highly important.
If you are on the fence about installing new garage doors in NJ, here are some good reasons to consider why you might need one on your home.
1) Damage. At Rissland Garage Doors & Services, we opt for repair as often as possible in order to save you money. We are skilled garage door repair specialists and can often restore a door to like-new condition. That said, some damage puts a garage door beyond the scope of repair and pushes it into the need for replacement.
Virtually everyone has a garage damage story: whether you accidentally backed out without realizing the garage door was closed, or you misjudged the distance and ended up buckling the door or the frame. New Jersey also is not without its extreme weather conditions, which can wreak havoc with any component on your house, including your garage door. At some point, it reaches a damage level your garage doors in NJ simply need to be replaced.
What is the worst damage you (or members of your family) have ever done to your car or garage with your own vehicle?
2) Wear and Tear. With regular maintenance from a garage door specialist like Rissland, you can keep a garage door in great shape for years and years. However, even well-maintained doors eventually give up or need to be replaced. If your garage door is simply too old to go on, you may want to consider a newer model, and you may be surprised at the high quality of the doors available on the market compared to when you installed your last garage door.
3) Warranty Expiration. Many garage doors in NJ come with long-term warranties that you can call on when you are facing a repair. However, these warranties do eventually expire. You may prefer the comfort of knowing that your repairs are covered by a warranty, or the warranty expiration may just be an indicator that it is time for a new door.
4) Remodeling. Garage doors come in a variety of sizes, patterns, and colors today, making them an excellent add-on for your home. An attractive garage door can add some real curb appeal and increase the value of your home when it comes time to sell. A garage door can take up as much as 30% of the exterior surface of your home, making it the perfect spot to increase your appraisal value with a brand new look.
A new garage door also has energy-saving benefits such as better climate control. When installed properly, a new garage door with energy efficiency features can reduce the loss of energy through the garage by as much as 71%.
5) Noise Reduction. If your garage door is making a noise bordering on the terrifying every time it opens and closes, it may be time to get a new one, or at least a new garage door opener. Newer garage door openers are much quieter. This is particularly important if your garage is attached and there is a living space next to or above it; it can make a big difference to you and your family members, particularly if someone in your household is prone to working late. New garage doors in NJ can significantly cut down on the noise, especially if you obtain a belt drive opener instead of a chain. This can be a great investment if noise is your primary concern.
6) Safety.Older garage doors in NJ lack a number of the safety features found in newer garage doors. A manual garage door could be easier to break into, particularly if you are prone to leaving it unlatched. Older garage doors also may be equipped with older openers. Any garage doors installed before 1993 may have these older openers, which are not as safe as newer models.
With the new wave of garage door openers which came with some safety requirements, primarily that garage doors be equipped with sensors that would stop the openers from lowering the door if something crossed the sensors’ path. This keeps garage doors from closing on pets, children, or belongings that happen to get in the way as the door is lowered.
In addition, the older models are more prone to security breaches, as potential thieves could create fake remotes that are able to open the garage door easily. This can be a potential security hazard, and a newer door with a modern opener can help reduce the likelihood of the theft of your vehicle or personal belongings. In addition, many insurance companies will give you better rates as a result of the improved security.
If you are interested in exploring the new models of garage doors in NJ available, contact Rissland today. We can discuss what your garage door needs are and see if repair or replacement is the best option for you. We can also help you pick out and install a great garage door that will improve the look and feel of your home, with customized designs and coloring to match your plans for your ideal exterior.