So, your old garage door is finally on its way out. Whether due to wear and tear, damage, or simply needing a new look, you have decided to seek out and install a new garage door. Before heading out to shop around, you need to stop and consider your purchase carefully so you can find the best quality garage doors available.
- The garage door can take up as much as 30% of the front part of your house, making it an essential part of making a good first impression and having that much-desired “curb appeal.”
- Garage doors are one of the few improvements you can make to your home that can actually have a positive impact on resale value, allowing you to recoup more of your investment when you sell.
With all of the options out there, it can quickly become overwhelming to look for a new garage door, which is why Rissland Garage Doors & Services is here to help.
Do you remember the last time you purchased a new garage door? What factors did you consider then? Have you found that garage doors have changed much since the last time you were shopping for one?
One of the first factors you should consider is what materials you want to use for your garage door. Among the most popular best quality garage doors on the market today are metal doors made of steel or aluminum. These are durable, cost-effective doors that just need regular maintenance to keep them running smoothly. They also come in insulated models, which can improve your home’s energy efficiency by reducing the energy lost through the garage.
You might also consider wood garage doors, or doors made out of vinyl or fiberglass. There are numerous benefits to these garage doors in terms of customization and attractiveness, as well as maintenance needs. When determining materials, you should reach a balance between cost, quality, and personal preference.
Design is the second factor you should contemplate, as it goes hand-in-hand with your considerations on materials. You might want a door with a finished interior surface, giving the inside of your garage a more functional yet decorative look. You might also want to use your garage door as a way of providing accents to the exterior of your home, taking advantage of the space for windows or trim work.
Whether you want a look that is classic or contemporary, there are a wide variety of options among the best quality garage doors on the market today, and you will be able to pick out a garage door that suits your particular style and preferences.
A third item for consideration is whether you want your door to contain insulation. There are numerous benefits to insulation:
- Keep rooms adjacent to the garage from leaking energy in the form of climate control. New Jersey is prone to extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, meaning you do not want to let your heated or cooled air out in the depths of winter or during a long, hot summer.
- Reduce noise with the dampening effects of the insulation. If you have a guest room or bedroom above the garage, this can be particularly helpful.
- Avoid denting with the stronger materials found in insulated doors. These materials are less prone to damage if you should accidentally bump into your garage with one of your vehicles.
Your fourth item to consider is what kinds of added features you want for your garage door. The best quality garage doors available have a number of different features to consider.
- Note that all garage door openers sold after 1993 must have a safety feature that causes the door to stop and reverse automatically if something crosses its path, such as pets or children, in order to avoid accidental crushing.
Other features can include things like a vacation mode setting on your garage door opener, which can prevent the door from being opened via remote when you know you will be gone for several days in a row. This can significantly reduce the likelihood of theft from your garage when you are on a vacation.
You can also pick materials that are less likely to create noise. A belt drive, for example, will keep your new door running more quietly than traditional chain drives. Powder-coated steel tracks can also help the noise level in your garage, and give your garage a more polished look. You might also consider nylon wheels instead of steel wheels, as they are longer-lasting and can also cut down on noise from your garage door opening and closing.
Each of these considerations is important when you are deciding on the best quality garage doors for your home. Professional advice in this area is often worthwhile, and you can consult with both a designer and an installation specialist for help in picking both cosmetic and functional features that will keep your door operating well and looking great for years to come.
If you decide to try installing your new garage door in New Jersey yourself, keep in mind that on average, it takes between 8 to 12 hours for someone to install a new garage door alone. A professional team like Rissland can save you significant time and hassle, and probably costs less than you would expect. We can also source the best quality garage doors the market has to offer, helping you pick which one you like best and has the features you want the most.
Rissland can also keep coming back on a regular basis to verify the quality of our work and ensure your garage door is kept in good working order. Regular maintenance is a key part of having a garage door, as minor preventative measures over time can spare you from having bigger repair costs down the line. Contact Rissland today for an installation job done the right way the first time.